One Day


My hubby and I recently went on a movie date. Both sticklers for feel-good movies, especially this "best-friends-plot movie" (me + hubby = BFF, get it?!) we went to see "One Day" starring Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess. 


The story revolved around two college acquaintances who, ironically, got to become close and share a special bond on their last day of school - specifically, on their graduation day. They've been the best of friends since.


Because of that ONE fateful DAY, July 15, 1988, they've made a point to reconnect - one way or another - every July 15th. Despite their ups and downs, quibbles, confusion, denials and what-nots, they finally had to face up to their real and strong love for each other. 


I would have been so utterly happy if the story ended there. Perhaps with the addition of their wedding day. But no, no wedding details were shown. The movie fast- forwarded to their struggle to try to have a baby, and Anne Hathaway (or Emma Morley, in the movie) meeting a tragic death. It was a downward-spiral from there for Jim Sturgess (or Dexter Mayhew, in the movie) who came to his senses after a good talking with his Dad. He tried to move on taking it ONE DAY at a time, without Emma in his life.


Bittersweet. That's what the movie was about. And I swear, I saw myself in some of the scenes  in the movie. Like, watching movies with subtitles... I really thought I was the only one in the world who does that! And of course, the denial part - knowing you like your best  friend...and kinda feeling something strong about him but not really sure where you stand.  Only to find out later on that he was feeling exactly the same way about you. Then voila! Love is in the air ♥


It still was a good movie after all.
My favorite part of the movie. When Emma ran after and caught up with Dexter to finally admit she loved him. I cried!





Comments

Popular Posts