My First Ever 5K Walk/Run

Me and my two daughters participated in the recent Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation's 2012 CIBC Run for the Cure last Sunday, September 30. It was my first ever run! If you know me well, you'd know I'm not the athletic type and running just isn't in my vocabulary. But ever since I've been with Dailey Method, I've been more open to venturing into things I would otherwise shy away from (like doing a 5K Walk/Run!).

Our Dailey Method (White Rock) Team consisted of two veteran runners, a yoga instructor, and one of our own TDM Instructors who survived her breast cancer battle last year. Pretty neat, huh?! I was the least experienced in this kind of feat. Nevertheless, Jenny, (one of the veteran runners) told me that she would do the walk with me as she didn't think she was in shape at all for running at this time.

Each person who participated in this run had a reason for doing so. In fact, this year's shirt was designed with a writeable front that states "I am running for..." While I have not had a face-to-face encounter with the wrath of breast cancer in my immediate family, I KNOW of people who battled this disease. And then it came to me; "I'm actually running for the future of my two daughters (and even mine!)" Breast cancer study and research had gone a long way in terms of early detection and pinpointing risk factors for being diagnosed with the disease. Thanks to efforts such as this annual run, breast cancer is no longer the dreaded disease it once was!














Comments

Popular Posts