Dance!




Today, as I was organizing my closet, I came across my dance outfits. When I saw my pink tights and dance soles (my ballet shoes are stored downstairs), I couldn't help but feel a strong urge to dance again.


I've always loved to dance - and I have danced since I was 4 years old. At first, my stints were just the performances for school field demonstrations, christmas programs, or classroom numbers. I never really had any formal dance training, I just remembered copying the dance steps of dance groups I saw on TV, then mix them up with my own choreography.


When I was in College, I got into our University's official dance troupe in the most absurd way. I was to accompany a classmate of mine to the auditions but she didn't show up. So I was the one who was pushed to audition and I got in! That's not all, that same day, I got casted into the most coveted project for the year. Little did I know that that would be one of the most important days of my life. Our choreographer made a real dancer out of me. We've had rigorous summer trainings, weeknight and weekend rehearsals that blossomed into many, many beautiful dances and artistic choreographies. I have had the pleasure of touring our country together with  a nationally-acclaimed choral group (and getting paid!) starting from my Sophomore year. I have performed at the Cultural Center of the Philippines, for the annual dance festivals and even in honor of one of the country's national artists. I have also competed and won private school and university competitions, on the national level. I have been the stand-in for a popular teen singer for her anniversary concert. The biggest feather in my cap, I would say, is the chance to perform at the opening and closing ceremonies of the 16th SouthEast Asian Games.


After College, rather than pursuing a pro career in dancing, I chose to tread on the chosen field I took in College only to find myself dancing again on national TV! The rigorous rehearsals were back, as well as the long nights of tapings. But again, I would NEVER take those experiences back. No matter how physically-draining my schedule was, I was in my element - I was in my world - I was dancing and I was happy!

Even after marriage, kids and all, I still had the chance to dance a bit. I even took dance lessons from our city's dance arts studio. And my dance instructor even thought we were of the same age (gosh!).

That was four years ago. We've since moved and that's when I packed all my dance outfits...seeing them again today flooded my thoughts with these memories. If only I could dance again!



Comments

Popular Posts