Girlfriends for Life

I am blessed with not just one, nor two, nor three, but FOUR girl friends for life. These are the girls I've shared my four years in College. We've seen through many hurdles in life, cried buckets of tears together, laughed ourselves to death and yes, even had nasty fights with each other (aaahhh, girls!). These are the girls who, despite the lapse in time that we might not be in touch, can seem like I've last talked to just the day before. These are the girls who come to mind instantly, when I needed someone to REALLY TALK to. This is my go-to bunch. The ones I couldn't live without:


Me and Emm (May 2010)
EMM - My best friend back in College. We both liked to dance. We were the only ones in our class who had the guts to perform a dance routine together for a talent show of sort. That gig made us instantly famous. We got into our College Cheerdancing Team and even made it to become members of our University's official dance troupe.  Emm and I both lived in Bulacan and I would often go to her place for a sleepover.  Her closet became my closet, as we wore the same size of clothes and shoes (though they never looked quite as flattering on me than they were on her). I was there when she got her first car - as well as when she got it dented for the first time (ahehe!).  I was there when she opened her own restaurant - and ate to my heart's content all the burger, potato fries, sinigang, kare-kare and bulalo I could take. Emm's beauty was such an attention-getter, in a most positive way. Without fail, everytime we would be out and about - most especially on girl night-outs - there would always be someone who would approach her or our group, to get her name! ALWAYS! No exaggeration.  At syempre pa, we would always use the situation to our advantage, haha! Our friendship has been tested twice. I thank God that we weathered these two storms and that by His grace, we remain the closest of friends - almost like sisters - to this day.


Preggy me and Mags with my little Reuel (June 2007)

MAGS - Mags and I share a different level of friendship. Surprisingly, we didn't have anything in common - except that we both almost flunk Swimming in PE! But then, she and I always end up being in the same group for school projects so we spent quite a lot of time together, in and out of school.  She's the girl who always brought out the best in me.  Always having good words to share and loving thoughts to make my day.  I believe she's my number 1 fan (aminin na! hehe).  Of all these awesome four friends of mine, Mags was the one who I cried to the most (kawawang bata!).  We teased her as the "Inday Badiday" in our group, as she knew all the latest gossips and happenings in the College - but seriously, she was my "Ate Helen." Her house was always open for me, even her Kraft mayonnaise jar.  I remember that she would always make sure there was one in her fridge, just in case I would come by. Kaligayahan na niyang panoorin akong kumain ng longganisa and porkchop with mayonnaise :) Mags has all the "M's" in life: Maganda, Matalino, Mayaman, Mabait - again, no exaggeration! To her, I owe almost everything. She's my "Andrew." She's the instrument how I came to know Jesus in a personal way, back in 1992. She's truly heaven-sent.


Me and Obi (August 2009)

OBI - My dear "no-holds-barred" friend. The girl who introduced me to NU107 New Rock. The one who condone all my "happy days" back in East Greenhills. Because of her, our "Sabado Nights" became sleepovers cum makeover and dress-up nights. She introduced us to the world of jazz, Faces, Rhythm and Blues, East St. Louis, etc. We owe our social life to her! I vividly remember that on her 18th birthday party, we prepared a song for her which I taught the group: Joey Albert's, "Memories." Come singing time, I was so emotional and could hardly sing. I love this girl to bits. Although she left to study in another school on our third year of College, that didn't affect our friendship at all. Never mind that among all of ours, her home address was the farthest one and most difficult to commute to. I guess because I've always felt welcome in their home. And star-struck in a way. You see, her Dad was a Head Purser of Philippine Airlines (ooohhh!). Her Mom was the coolest Mom I've known - who drove a blue beetle and Volkswagen van (ooohhh!) and her older sister went to the posh and exclusive St. Paul College of QC (ooohhh!). And take note, they speak Spanish in their home! Aristocrata, di ba? ;)


Pam and me (May 2010)

PAM - The last but certainly not the least. Our friendship was such a late bloomer in this circle as Pam and Mags were the inseparable ones back in College. Ironically, Pam and I became real close after we've graduated.  Because Mags was busy with Med School and  Emm and Obi were both flying high as Flight Attendants with Philippine Airlines, Pam and I were the ones who had the time to get-together. I would often come by her office in Makati and we would usually have lunch together in their break room. I was there when she fell in love to her now beloved hubby, and she witnessed too my own love story to my dearest hubby.  I was one of the bridesmaids at her wedding (my very first stint as a Bridesmaid) and she and hubby Edwin were our Secondary Sponsors naman at my own wedding. She's even lovingly and selflessly let my entourage borrow her entourage's gowns for my wedding (my "something borrowed"). Very recently, we met up with our hubbies and daughters in tow - who knew, right?! 19 years after College, our friendship continues and grows.


This year, we're all turning 40. Emm suggested the thought of spending this momentous event in our life with the 4 of us together. Sadly, we've already missed Emm's 40th. Obi's is coming up soon (Obi corrected me, she's younger nga pala by months, coz hers will be next year pa) while Mags, Pam and my birthday are only days apart in December (just right smack in the middle of the busiest time of the year - not even difficult, eh?). But we already know in our hearts that time and distance don't matter. Wherever we are, we are safe in the knowledge that our hearts are connected in this blessed friendships that we all share. To my awesome and God-given girlfriends for life, my soul-sisters, thank you for your friendship. I treasure each of you and love you with all my heart!

Comments

Popular Posts